Correcting Our Focus

“Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,”

Philippians 3:12-13 ESV

At the core of every healthy Christian experience is a focus upon a promise keeping God rather than one's own shortcomings. The struggle of many sincere believers is their misguided focus. When we keep our faults ever before us we are guaranteed to continue in the same track. Only in turning our gaze upon the righteousness of our redeemer do we begin to discover new impulses to obedience from the indwelling spirit of God.


Learning to rest in Him and lean on his mighty arm makes our Christian experience come to life. We discover power to resist temptation born of gratitude. We discover joy even in the midst of difficulty and peace in the midst of pain. Jesus becomes our theme and song and we simply cannot keep silent about our new found friendship with a tender loving Savior.


I am convinced more and more each day that we are living in a precious period of time. I personally am discovering more and more just how faithful and wonderful God truly is. I am discovering God to be everything I wished him to be and more. I can tell you with confidence this morning that he is worthy of your trust. He is a promise keeper and he desires to win your heart over with abundant evidence of his care.


God knows how twisted a picture the enemy has painted of Him. He understands our fearfulness of placing our heart in his hands. He feels our pain and comprehends our crushed hopes. That is why He came, that is why He died. He knows He will never let you down and that is why He can boldly ask for your heart. Will you take a step of faith this moment and place your hand in his? Will you let him be more to you? Nothing is sweeter than resting in the only arms big enough to hold you and never let you go. 


Still Seeking His Face,
Pastor Andrew

Popular posts from this blog

Peter and Adventism

Rest

Christian Atheism?