Spiritual Gifts 12

“But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.”

I Corinthians 12:31 NKJV


Which are the gifts God entrusts to his children which are most important? Is it the gift of healing, prophecy, or perhaps evangelism? We tend to hold particular gifts in greater esteem and as a result we place different value upon different gifts as well as those who exercise them.


At the end of 1 Corinthians 12 which almost appears to be a list of gifts in order of importance, Paul makes a statement hinting to something even more important than the most influential of the spiritual gifts. The following chapter opens with some of the most famous language in all of scripture. 

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.”

I Corinthians 13:1-3 


Our particular gifts do not determine our effectiveness nor do they limit the impact we are able to have for God's kingdom. How we love, however, does. Love is the power of God's character which will make all of our efforts a success. Genuine love is only found one place, at the source. If we are not spending time in God's presence having our minds renewed and our hearts filled, our talents will be powerless to draw people into a love we are forfeiting ourselves.


The joy and drive of every true Christian is seeing others come to a knowledge of our Father's heart. As we seek to bless others according to our giftedness, remember our effectiveness and personal joy will grow as our relationship with God deepens. God's love is both the means by which we work and the end to which we strive. Discovering your life work begins with answering the call to continually discover the love God has for you.


Still Seeking His Face,

Pastor Andrew

Popular posts from this blog

Peter and Adventism

Rest

Christian Atheism?